Listening to mustard, most people immediately think of that sauce that is sold in supermarkets and commonly used to flavor snacks, meats and dishes in general. But did you know that mustard is actually a plant grown all over the world that can be harnessed from the leaves to the seeds and is very nutritious?
Dietiza nutritionist Luiza Ferracini, a platform that helps nutrition professionals strengthen patient relationships, says mustard can be found for sale in the form of seeds, leaves or sauces. Is it an iconic food and has a lot of history? It is estimated that it first appeared in India in the years 3000 BC, he says.
Besides being used in different ways, mustard stands out for offering several health benefits. Mustard leaves and seeds are rich in minerals such as calcium, magnesium, potassium and phosphorus. In addition, they have antioxidants, such as flavonoids, which have been shown to help prevent breast, prostate, colon and ovarian cancer ?, highlights Luiza.
Below you know more about the benefits of this plant, find out the best way to consume it and you can be inspired by delicious recipes that take mustard.
8 Amazing Benefits Of Mustard
Learn why it is worth including mustard in your diet:
Also read: 100 Ways to Cut 100 Calories
1. Detoxifying Power: Mustard leaf is rich in glucosinolate (a compound that protects the liver and improves its performance) and therefore activates enzymes that metabolize toxic substances. It also has chlorophyll, which also contributes to the elimination of toxins from the bloodstream.
2. Combat High Cholesterol: Both leaf and mustard seed are allies in the fight against high cholesterol. The seed contains vitamin B3, which fights atherosclerosis (when fat, cholesterol and other substances build up in the artery walls); and the leaf improves liver bile production (which uses cholesterol as a raw material). This all helps to prevent heart disease.
3. Improvement of PMS and menopause symptoms: Mustard can be a great ally because, especially due to the presence of calcium and magnesium, it helps maintain the good bone health of women.
4. Fighting pain: With anti-inflammatory action, mustard helps relieve joint and muscle pain.
5. Cancer Prevention: Luiza points out that mustard has antioxidants, such as flavonoids, which have been shown to help prevent breast, prostate, colon and ovarian cancer.
Read also: 20 light and tasty salad recipes
6. Avoid constipation: As it is a source of fiber, it can help in treating constipation and the proper functioning of intestinal transit.
7. Prevention of arthritis and osteoporosis: Mustard has a large amount of vitamin K, which acts directly on good bone health, among other important nutrients in this regard, such as calcium.
8. Improved blood circulation: Mustard seeds may also be indicated for the treatment of hypertension as they stimulate blood circulation.
For these and many other reasons, it is worth including mustard in your daily diet!
How to consume mustard
Luiza points out that mustard can be consumed in many ways. • For its benefits to be better reaped, it is ideal to consume the raw leaves in salads. These leaves should be stored in the refrigerator sanitized, for better conservation ?, says.
Read also: 18 Mistakes You May Be Making When Preparing Your Foods
The leaves may also be braised or steamed and seasoned to taste. Already the seeds, can be placed in the preparation of meats and other foods. “Seeds are used to make the sauces we are used to consuming. They can also be shredded and used as a salad dressing, broth, etc., ”says nutritionist Luiza.
Mustard powder, still according to the nutritionist, is used in dishes with eggs, cheese, salad toppings. And it is easily mixed.
Mustard sauce, in turn, is widely used in ready-made dishes, combines with meats and sandwiches, and can be part of the salad and vegetable seasoning.
Regarding the mustard sauce commonly consumed, it is worth mentioning: it is made from mustard seeds and thus has its nutrients and benefits. However, most industrialized mustard sauces contain other harmful ingredients in their composition.
The harm that processed foods can cause to human health due to their colorings, acidulants, etc. is not yet known. Mustard itself has no harmful effects, but you should be aware of the amount of preservatives and prefer the most natural sauces ?, comments Luiza.
Read also: 20 Mouthwatering Salmon Recipes
A good tip is to prepare your own mustard sauce at home: just soak the seeds in water, vinegar or wine until soft. Then grind in a processor to a smooth paste, adding herbs and spices of your choice.
The Different Types of Mustard
Know the particularities of the main types of mustard:
Yellow Mustard: Luiza explains that yellow mustard goes with a wide variety of foods. It has this color because turmeric is added to the preparation.
Dark Mustard: Dark mustard is widely consumed in Indian, Chinese and Japanese cuisines, according to Luiza. It has this color due to the higher concentration of seeds in the preparation. It also has a spicier flavor ?, he explains.
Dijon Mustard: takes its name from the city Dijon (France) is a major producer of mustard and its derivatives. Luiza explains that dijon mustard has wine or grape juice in its preparation. It may also have honey and other spices. Can be combined with salads, sandwiches, meats etc.
With these variations, you can make delicious recipes using mustard! Get inspired by the preparations below that earn the special touch of mustard:
Mustard Dressings and Salads
1. Homemade Dijon Mustard: A more economical version of the prized Dijon mustard (which is often quite expensive here in Brazil). Plus, this mustard looks just amazing and not hard to do!
2. Honey Mustard Dressing: A great way to spice up your leafy salad, making healthy eating a lot tastier. You will only use yellow mustard, honey, lemon and freshly ground pepper.
3. Salad and Meat Mustard Dressing: Very easy to prepare, this dressing will give your salads or meats extra flavor. You will need lemon, dark mustard, whey cream, honey, salt and black pepper.
4. Mustard sauce and capers: Ideal sauce for carpaccio. You will use grated Parmesan, Sicilian lemon, red pepper, black pepper, salt, olive oil, arugula, Dijon mustard and capers.
5. Spinach, raw ham and mustard salad: A sophisticated salad, delicious but easy to prepare. You will use only raw spinach, raw ham, thinly sliced radish and cheese, and make the mustard-based gravy, olive oil, sour cream, herbs, salt and pepper.
6. Complete salad with mustard sauce, balsamic and honey: a delicious salad, ideal for a light dinner. Those who do not dispense with meat, even in salad, can add turkey breast rolls, shredded chicken breast, tuna chips or whatever you want.
7. Lettuce salad, sun-dried tomatoes, and honey mustard dressing: The yield is six portions, and you will use different types of lettuce, plus raisins and sun-dried tomatoes. For the sauce you will need yellow mustard, olive oil, honey, lemon droplets, salt and filtered water.
8. Smoked Salmon Salad with Goat Cheese and Mustard Dressing: An elegant and delicious salad. You'll need mustard grains, lemon, fresh cream, olive oil, herbs, salt, smoked salmon, watercress, fennel and goat cheese.
9. Mustard and Cheese Salad with Mustard Dressing: A sophisticated salad with no secrets to prepare. You basically have to distribute the leaves, then place the cheese pieces and finish with the toasted almonds, and serve with the mustard sauce.
10. Leaf salad, fig and honey mustard sauce: blends perfectly well with a roasted kebab, for example. You will use mix of leaves, figs, nuts, sheep's cheese, garlic, honey, mustard grains, lemon juice and olive oil.
Side dishes and snacks
11. Pears, mustard and walnut carpaccio: You will only use honey mustard, walnuts, pears, filtered water and lemon. It is a dish that goes very well with green leaves.
12. Zucchini Carpaccio: In addition to being a vegetarian version of carpaccio, it is champion in flavor, refreshing, healthy, easy to make and cheap! It's worth a try!
13. Quinoa with sprouts and mustard leaf: Using sprouts is a way to make the dish more interesting, diverse and tasty. In addition to various sprouts, you will use quinoa, cherry tomatoes, eggs and the sauce (made with mustard, olive oil and balsamic).
14. Dijon Mustard Potatoes: A different and easy accompaniment to make. You will only use ground potatoes, chopped parsley, butter, fresh cream, Dijon mustard, water, olive oil, salt and ground pepper.
15Mashed potatoes with mustard and white wine: Mashed potatoes is already an accompaniment that has no mistake, right? With mustard and white wine then? It gets even better! You will use large potatoes, cream, garlic, Dijon mustard, dry white wine and butter.
16. Mustard Gratin Cauliflower and Broccoli: If You Are One of Those People Who Forget? In winter salad, be aware that there are many versions of hot dishes with delicious vegetables to warm up healthy! And this is a great example, as well as being an easy recipe!
17. Spicy Meatballs in Dark Mustard Sauce: Quick to make and a great snack option, these meatballs carry spices and a good dose of pepperoni pepper. Makes 35 dumplings and you should serve with dark mustard.
18. Mushroom and Camembert Crepe with Mustard Sauce: You'll use eggs, milk, flour, salt, butter, champignon, portobello mushroom, zucchini, Camembert cheese, black pepper, mustard grains, and sour cream.
19. Pot Meat with Mustard Sauce: The result is a very strong sauce that combines the sweet acidity of yellow mustard with the full flavor of the meat, and a thyme aroma to finish. For meat lover no blemish!
20. Filet with mustard and potato sauce: An easy dish to make, but one that impresses and pleases most people. Good tip to serve at a dinner for two or for friends.
21. Filet Mignon in Mustard Sauce: A quick and simple dish that is incredibly good. To make the sauce, in addition to Dijon mustard and yellow mustard, you will use butter, dehydrated onion, water, sour cream, salt and black pepper.
22. Mustard-baked skirt steak: If you can't find skirt steak, you can use titty, which is also delicious. The potatoes are very tasty and golden due to a "trick"? special recipe.
23. Chicken Fillet with Mustard Sauce: The recipe is made with sassami, but you can use the same sauce (which is delicious) on other chicken cuts, such as thigh and drumstick, for example.
24. Chicken with honey and mustard: a known and appreciated combination of flavors. The yield is five servings and you will only use chicken drumstick, olive oil, salt, pepper, mustard seed, mustard, honey, water and rosemary.
25. Chicken in dark mustard sauce: You'll soon have an honest meal with a different taste that will be even more charming? with some mustard seeds on top.
26. Mustard-Fried Chicken: It's one of those recipes you find in almost every American restaurant. Fried chicken is a traditional recipe in Southern US cuisine and is very easy to make. It is juicy, soft, crispy on the outside and well seasoned.
27. Creamy chicken with mustard: good for a change? You will use milk, parsley, onion, garlic, olive oil, butter, diced chicken, salt, pepper, nutmeg, balsamic vinegar, common mustard, Dijon mustard and ricotta cream.
Mustard Main Dishes
28. Roast Beef with Mustard Butter: This is a piece of titty well done in butter mixed with Dijon mustard and other spices. Easy to make and very tasty.
29. Pork fillet with dark mustard sauce: As the piece of pork fillet is small, the dish yields for a couple of people. To accompany, the tip is a braised peas.
30. Pork Loin with Mustard Sauce: You'll use pork loin, onion, garlic, mustard, chopped oregano, white wine, salt, pepper, and olive oil. To accompany, baked potatoes and green salad.
31. Mustard Liver Bait: The recipe is quite simple, but the? Secret? It is exactly how to make the liver very soft. The mustard comes to an end over the liver lures already grilled in olive oil.
32. Sautéed kale with alheira and mustard: a different and tasty dish for those who like to innovate in the kitchen. You will only use cabbage, alveiras, garlic clove, olive oil, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper.
33. Mustard-baked hake medallions: an elegant, light and healthy dish. You will use the hake medallions, mustard, chopped parsley, ½ lemon juice, olive oil, salt and black pepper.
34. Salmon gravlax with mustard sauce: a dish of sophisticated and beautiful flavors just by looking! You will use salmon, sugar, salt, white pepper, oil, Dijon mustard, mustard, lemon, and olive oil.
35. Cheese, mustard and pistachio risotto: A creamy risotto made with mustard cheese and pistachios and a hint of honey. Simply different and delicious. You can enjoy it as a main course, and for non-vegetarians, it's a great accompaniment to meat or chicken.
Mustard Consumption Warnings
There are no contraindications to food consumption, according to Luiza. "Just pay attention to the amount of preservatives in industrialized sauces that can be harmful to health," says the nutritionist.
Also, like other foods, mustard should not be eaten in excess. To get the most out of the benefits it can offer, the ideal is to include it in the diet always following the guidelines of a nutritionist.
More Than Just a Condiment? Unbelievable Health Benefits of Mustard (May 2021)